State & Local Government
QUEENSLAND NOW FIRST STATE WITH LABOUR HIRE LAWS TO CLEAN UP INDUSTRY
Queensland Council of Unions Media Update (7 September 2017): https://www.queenslandunions.org/queensland-now-first-state-with-labour-hire-laws-to-clean-up-industry/
INDUSTRIAL MANSLAUGHTER OFFENCE
The Queensland State Government recently made a move to create a new offence of industrial manslaughter. Queensland Council of Unions Media Update (23 August 2017): https://www.queenslandunions.org/unions-support-new-offence-of-industrial-manslaughter/.
NEW INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS ACT
The Industrial Relations Act 1999 (Qld) was recently replaced by the Industrial Relations Act 2016 (Qld). The new Act can be found here: https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/I/IndustRelA16.pdf. Most provisions of the Act commenced on 1 March 2017.
The Act provides a framework for the conduct of industrial relations within the State jurisdiction. The defining features of this system are:
- A set of minimum employment conditions and standards (the ‘QES’- Queensland Employment Standards);
- Collective bargaining a cornerstone for setting wages, conditions and entitlements, including requirements for good faith bargaining;
- Requirements to promote consultation between employers and employees;
- Protections against adverse action, workplace bullying and discrimination;
- Procedures facilitating protected industrial action;
- Rights to fair treatment; and
- The QIRC (Queensland Industrial Relations Commission) as an independent umpire.